Saturday, July 16, 2011

Are we asking the right question?

I'm part way through reading Freakonomics by Steven D Levitt & Stephen J Dubner (Gr8 read just quitely!). In the opening "economics is a science with excellent tools for gaining answers but a serious shortage of interesting questions..." and this starting me wondering are we asking the right questions in software testing? I mean every day I get asked how's our defect count, how close are we to finishing testing, how many tests have you run, how many are left, were is the test report. All of these are valid but really uninteresting questions (I think!) rather blah and binary, and really do the answers to these questions really tell us much? There's a line in one of the Disney movies (Shrek I think) in which one of the characters supporting characters said "blah, blah blah" and then the main character said "yes he's talking, but is he saying anything?" Which is kind of the way I feel about answering the daily questions. I give the answers, but without understanding the meaning behind the numbers or tends am I really saying anything? Shouldn't we be being asked about business processes or risks or impact on revenue? These are much more interesting but I think based on the freakonomics outlook something like ... help help me to find an interesting question!  

more to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment