Sunday, November 7, 2010

QC 11 - Sprinter vs CodedUI Tests

As per my earlier post I've started playing with QC, I mean ALM 11, with an upgrade looming at work. I didn't notice when I first installed QC but upon further investigation of 'What's New' I stumbled upon 'HP Sprinter' which is set to revolutionise manual testing (according to the blurb).

My first thought was I've heard it all before with business process testing, automated testing that can be done my non-techie's and alike. However when I watched the promo video I was immediately stuck by the similarities with a demo of the Microsoft's Coded UI Tests I saw earlier in 2010.

It felt like a moment of deja-vu when the presentation began, the image that triggered the memory was when the video splashed up the mercury tours home page and started to enter data. In the Microsoft demo they use a similar website for buying model planes of all things!

On face value both of these 'add ons' appear to offer the same sort of capability in that you can record whilst running a manual test, and the re-use the coded UI test to retest a defect or save time in data entry.

I don't claim to know either of these tools well or have used them other an in a trail, but I like the direction they are moving in...

More to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment