Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Defects are requirements?

It was a throw away line over a beer "Defects should be written as requirements..." The context of the conversion was talking about delivering a testing training course and the topic of defects.

At the time I had "Ding" moment where I thought its such a simple concept. All testers understand that defects are important, but as possibly the only tangible outcome of testing we should give them more focus.

When I think of the conversations about testing I've had of late at go, no go meetings, almost all have glossed over the test results and focused on the outstanding defects. If I calculated the amount time I spent translating and interpreting what the functional impacts were, the associated effects on users and risk to data - well it would be days. I think that if I approached the documentation of defects with much of the discipline I'd expect to find in the documentation of requirements then I'd be that much better off.

Speaking of requirements, there is a lesson we (as testers) should learn and its one we try to teach on a daily basis. The quality of requirements has a major impact on the quality of the system built and the testing conducted. Well, our defects are mini specifications on how particular system function should work and its content is of poor quality, then the probability that the fix implemented will be sub optimal is increased.

Lastly, reason for making an effort to document defects thoroughly, is that one day down the track you might have to retest or reproduce the defect. If you've only entered scant on details in your hast to raise the defect, then it makes your job that much harder! I know I've had many instances where I've read a defect report that I'd raised and had to scratch my head to fill in the gaps I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment