Sunday, December 26, 2010

Testing Utopia

In line with some of my recent posts about reporting, requirements, defects and test execution status - I think that I have narrowed down what utopic testing conditions would be. It's a big call but here is what I came up with; All of the...
1) Requirements (functional and non-functional) fully derived and understood,
2) Requirements covered by risk appropriate test cases/scripts/procedures,
3) Documented test cases/scripts/procedures executed,
4) Defects discovered either resolved or well understood and documented,

That's the beauty of utopia, its so great, dynamic and unattainable but well worth striving for...

I've reached the point were I have a vision of what this Utopia looks like and how I might need to report how far away we are from it. It involves a data cube which contains information about requirements, tests and defects. Each of the data objects has records attached requirements have links to tests and defects, a priority and risk assessment. Tests have links to requirements and defects, but also records of each time the test was executed (results), priority and complexity rating. Defects have a status, severity, complexity and business impact. I'm sure there is a few things I have forgotten, but they can be added. I think that I have been asked to provide a report based on all of these attributes at one time or another...

No comments:

Post a Comment